Losing your password can get stressful, and it is much worse if you forget your Windows password. So, unlike other passwords for social media sites, you can’t just ask for a recovery password on your email. The process can get slightly tricky and will require a little more effort than usual.
Fortunately, you’re at the right place, as today, we’ll be discussing about the best Windows 11 password recovery/reset ways that you can use to get you out of a sticky situation.
Suggested Read: Top Password Managers Compared
1. Recover Windows 11 Password by using a Microsoft Account
The easiest, safest, and fastest recovery process you can use is using a Microsoft Account. Windows 11 gives users the option to log in to their Microsoft account when they first boot their PC, and if you did have your account logged in, the password recovery process becomes super simple. All you need to do is follow the process below, and you will quickly be back on your PC:
- Firstly, turn on your PC, and you should be on the lock screen. Now, look for the “I forgot my PIN” or “I forgot my Password” button and click on it.
- This would take you to a subsequent screen, where you would need to log in to your Microsoft account and ask for a recovery code.
- The recovery code would be transferred to your registered mobile number or your email. Enter the recovery code, and then you will be able to reset your PIN or Password.
Note: You need to have an active internet connection to your PC for this to work smoothly. Also, make sure to log in with the same account that you have used earlier.
2. Recover using Microsoft’s Windows 11 Password Reset Disk
The next tool that you can use is the Microsoft Windows 11 Password Reset Disk. If you don’t have a Microsoft account to work with, then we suggest using this as it is quick and reliable. However, you would need a password reset disk beforehand, and you can quickly make one by choosing “Create a Password Reset Disk” in the Forgotten Password wizard. After this, follow the steps below:
- Insert the reset disk in your PC and then click on “Reset Password” on the lock screen
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions and then type in a new password
- Finally, set the password and the hint.
3. Reset Password using Command Prompt
You can also use Command Prompt to reset your password. However, you need to have a Windows ISO disk or USB drive to access the administrator with Command Prompt. After you insert the disk, follow the steps below:
- Boot from the Windows ISO disk and then press Shift + F10 to open up the Command Prompt window
- Now run the following commands:
- move c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
Note: Replace the “c” letter with the letter of your system drive.
- After executing the commands, remove the setup disk and restart your system. Once you reach the lock screen, click on the “Ease of Acess” button, and this will bring up a cmd panel. Now, enter the following command:
- This will set a new log-in password for your Windows 10 local admin, and all you would need to do is log in back to your PC.
4. Reset Windows 11 Password through Safe Mode
Another lengthy method to reset your Windows password. So, make sure you follow the steps correctly and successfully reset your password:
- Firstly, we need to boot into the Safe Mode with cmd enabled. To do this, restart your PC and press the F8 button and then choose the option “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” to boot into the OS.
- Run command prompt and type in the command: net user username newpassword and hit enter.
Note: You need to change the “username” to your account and “newpassword” to a new password.
- Next, enter your account and type in a new password.
- Finally, restart your PC, and you should have successfully booted back into the OS.
5. Reset Password with a 3rd-party tool – PassFab 4WinKey or Ophcrack
Finally, the last method you can use to reset your Windows password consists of using a third-party tool to do the job for you. The process is much more automated, and you could easily reset the password.
The best tools that we recommend are PassFab 4WinKey or Ophcrack. Both of these are well-rounded software that can be super handy in such sticky situations. All you need to do is install the apps from their respective websites and follow the on-screen instructions.
PassFab is very user-friendly, and it works by burning a new password reset disk that you can use to boot into and then reset your password. The process can take a little bit of time, so we recommend you do this when you can spare an hour.
Once you’ve downloaded and installed 4WinKey on a different system, take a USB drive and let the app burn it with the reset disk files. Next, enter the drive on your locked PC and then boot into it. The app should kick in, and you would be able to select your account and then reset your PC with relative ease.
It is perfect for beginners and is a great option that can help you reset the password with relative ease.
Ophcrack is much more detailed, and it is also open source for better compatibility. It is best for professionals that know what they’re doing.
It also works on Linux, so that’s a bonus as well. Other than that, we still recommend PassFab 4WinKey if you’re a casual user.
Reset your Windows 11 PC
Finally, if none of the steps are working for you, then you can reset your PC to get started with a fresh OS. However, this will delete all data, and your “C” drive will be wiped. Follow the steps below to reset your PC.
- On the login screen, click the power icon, press the “Shift” key, and restart your PC into WinRE.
- Now, click the “Troubleshoot” button and then select the “Advanced Options” screen.
- Finally, choose the “Reset this PC” option and follow the on-screen instructions to reset your Windows 11 PC.
Can Windows passwords be recovered?
Yes, Windows passwords can be recovered. However, the process can get complicated. So, we recommend resetting the password instead, as the process is much easier, and you can reset your password in less than 30 minutes.
How do I recover my administrator password?
You can recover your administrator password by two different methods. You can either use your Microsoft account to recover your password from an email or use a Windows reset drive and command prompt to recover the password. We have discussed the process in detail above, so follow the steps, and we’re sure you’ll quickly reset your password.
Are password recovery tools safe?
Yes, password recovery tools are safe to use. While we recommend, you should only use them if you don’t have any other option to work with. Other than that, the options above are great picks and would help you reset your password.
Losing your password is really challenging, even so when it’s your PC’s password. Hence, we have discussed the best solutions that you can use to recover or reset your Windows password and get back into your system.
Most of the steps are simple, but some methods can get a little confusing if you’re a beginner. So, we recommend you stick with the first Microsoft Account recovery method as it’s the fastest and the safest option to go for. It is also beginner-friendly and would guarantee you an easy password reset.
With that said, we have reached the end of our guide and hope you recover your password quickly without much hassle.
You may also like: