Do you also listen to Podcasts? Of course, you do like that’s why you are here. However, managing all your podcasts on multiple devices can get challenging.
Sure, you can go ahead and use Spotify or any other online Podcast service, but that would limit the number of podcasts you can listen to. Not to mention you won’t be able to download or listen to any other podcast that’s not available on the service.
So, what should you do? Well, the best way you can keep listening to your favorite podcasts is by downloading them on your computer and your iPhone. But then syncing and transferring them can become a serious issue.
Don’t worry. Today we’ll look at all the ways you can backup and transfer podcasts to and from your iPhone and computer. What are you waiting for? Let’s dive straight in and find the podcast listening heaven.
RELATED: How to Backup or Transfer WhatsApp to New Phone
What are Podcasts
Podcasts are audio files that contain stories, conversations, or news hosted by an individual, a company, a radio channel, TV Networks, and anyone who wants to host their podcast. Podcasts are generally hosted to share life experiences, opinions, ideas, and news
So now that you understand what podcasts are, let’s look at the need to transfer them to your Mac/Windows PC. Though you can always listen to podcasts on your iPhone, sometimes it can be a little messy, thereupon generating the need to move it to your PC or Mac. So let’s get to it then.
Backup Podcasts from an iPhone to Mac or PC
Making a backup of podcasts from your iPhone to Mac / PC is super easy. You can use the following 4 different methods that will make saving podcasts to your computer a breeze.
1. Backup Podcasts from iPhone to Mac / PC with iTunes
iTunes is one of the most popular softwares out there, especially for iPhones. It automatically detects iOS devices and works on macOS and Windows, making it quite useful to transfer Podcasts. So, let’s learn how you can use iTunes to transfer podcasts to and from your iPhone:
- First of all, install iTunes from Microsoft Store on Windows, and make sure it’s the latest version if you already have it.
- Connect your iPhone to the PC or Mac
- Now from the menu options, go to Files -> Devices and click on Transfer Purchases from iPhone and that’s it; you are done. Now, the iTunes app will smartly detect the purchased podcasts and songs and transfer them to your PC.
Note: To transfer these files, you will need to authorize your Windows PC or Mac, else the transfer will fail. To authorize, follow the steps below:
- Account -> Authorizations -> Authorize This Computer
2. Backup Podcasts from iPhone to Mac / PC by syncing
You have probably heard of syncing before, and it is a real-time sharing of data between devices and softwares connected with the same account. Syncing is probably the fastest (depending on your internet connection) way to transfer podcasts from iPhone to PC.
Syncing wasn’t actually made for this purpose, but we use it to do so. This process is different for Mac and Windows PC, so that we will explain them separately. But before explaining them separately, there is one thing that needs to be done in your iPhone it’s necessary for both processes.
You will need to Enable Podcast Sync from your iPhone settings; here is how you can do it
- Open your Settings.
- Go to Podcasts.
- Turn on the Sync Podcasts
Sync in Mac:
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac using either a USB or a Wi-Fi connection
- Open Finder and from the sidebar, select your connected iPhone
- On Finder’s menu bar, you will find a podcast option
- Click on the popup window select the Sync podcasts onto “Your phone’s name”
- And it will sync/transfer podcasts from your iPhone to your Mac
Sync in Windows:
- Syncing in Windows is done using the iTunes app installed on your PC
- Open the iTunes app on Windows PC
- Connect your iPhone to a Windows PC using a USB cable
- Go to Preferences -> Store
- Check the box before “Sync Podcasts subscriptions and Settings”
- Click on OK
Note: To sync, you will need an active internet connection.
3. Backup Podcasts from iPhone to Mac / PC by downloading
The traditional downloading method it’s still the most advantageous method but just a little longer than the others. It’s advantageous because it requires an internet connection only once to download the podcasts, and you don’t need to purchase them.
Who doesn’t want to save a few bucks! or worry about a slow internet connection. So let’s see how you can use it to transfer podcasts to and from your iPhone:
- Open the Podcast app on your iPhone (install it from the app store if you don’t have it)
- Search for the required Podcast and Subscribe to it
- Check for your Library, and there you will see your subscribed podcasts.
- Hold the plus button next to the podcast item till a popup menu appears. From the menu, select Download Podcast
With this, we have successfully downloaded the podcast, i.e., it’s available offline. All that needs to be done is transfer these podcast files to the PC’s storage like any other data transfer. The steps are as follows:
- Connect your iPhone to your PC using a USB cable
- Go to your Windows PC or Mac. Click on “This PC or Finder“, then click on iPhone
- Now find the recently downloaded podcast and press Ctrl + C or Cmd + C to copy it, or you can also do so by the right-click option
- Go to the folder you want to paste it in, right-click on empty space, and click on paste or press Ctrl + V or Cmd + V, the shortcut key for paste
- And now it’s done; you have successfully downloaded a podcast and saved it on your PC or Mac
4. Backup Podcasts from iPhone to Mac / PC using backup tool
iMazing is one of great iPhone backup tools that makes the transfer of podcasts from iOS devices to Mac/PCs extremely easy and smooth. Just drag and drop and move your entire podcast library to your PC in the smoothest way.
Let’s see how you can use iMazing to make transferring podcasts easy:
- Download and install iMazing for PC/Mac from their official website.
- Connect your device with your PC/Mac using a USB or Wi-Fi
- Launch the iMazing software, and follow the steps shown for the first-time connection. It will try to connect to the device using Wi-Fi from next time onwards automatically.
- Simply click on your iOS device listed on iMazing’s sidebar and click on the podcasts icon.
- iMazing automatically loads the entire library of the podcast app.
- At the bottom of the screen, there will be 3 action buttons, namely Import, Export, and Delete.
- To export,select the podcasts and click on the “Export to folder” option or simply drag-and-drop the podcasts to the desired folder.
- If you chose the “Export to folder” option, you would get another window showing options
- Items to export: Basically, to confirm to export what you selected or the entire library.
- Organize in Folders: To choose whether or not iMazing should create folders to distinguish the type of podcast.
- Choose the desired options and click on Next to get the option to choose the folder/location where you want the podcasts to be saved.
- We are done! And Yes, the drag-and-drop is the best possible way to move the podcasts.
Transfer Podcasts from a computer to an iPhone
Transferring Podcasts from your computer to your iPhone can be done in seconds if you have the right tools by your side. Here are 3 ways that you can use:
1. Transfer Podcasts from a computer to an iPhone using iTunes
This is probably the easiest way that you can transfer podcasts from a computer to an iPhone. All you need to do is follow the steps below:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer
- Run iTunes and download the podcast you want to transfer
- Click on the iTunes menu and then on “Add to Library” to transfer the podcast to your iPhone.
2. Transfer Podcasts from a computer to an iPhone using a transfer tool
Another way you can transfer podcasts from your computer to an iPhone is by using iMazing. You just have to do the reverse from the backup process above.
Follow the steps below, and you’ll be ready to transfer podcasts:
- Install iMazing and then connect your iPhone
- Next, select all the podcasts you want to transfer to your iPhone
- Finally, click on import all podcasts and let the process complete
How do I backup my Apple podcasts?
Currently, there is no official app offered by Apple that helps you backup Podcasts. So, you will need to move it to your PC or external storage by transferring it through a wired or wireless connection. You can use the methods presented above in the guide for a smoother overall experience.
How do I sync Podcasts from iPhone to Mac?
You can sync podcasts from your iPhone to your Mac in just 5 easy steps. It’s easy to do, so I have added a step-by-step process on how to do so above in this blog. The process would just take you 5 minutes to set up and get running.
Where are downloaded Podcasts stored on Mac?
All your downloaded podcasts on your Mac are stored in the “home folder/Library/Group/Containers/xxxxx.groups.com.apple.podcasts”. You can use Finder to browse through it and copy-paste the files to backup or transfer them to your iPhone.
Now we have reached the end of our journey. I hope that the guide above seems easy to understand and helps you transfer your podcasts to and from your iPhone or computer.
With that said, transferring your podcasts can still be a little time-consuming if you have a tonne of podcasts to listen to. So, I would always recommend a physical wired connection for the best possible speeds.