WhatsApp, known for its robust security measures, has introduced Chat Lock — a feature designed to enhance the privacy of your conversations. In this guide, we will provide you with a step-by-step walkthrough on how to utilize Chat Lock to protect your confidential chats on WhatsApp.
RELATED: Best WhatsApp Transfer Software
Advantages of Chat Lock
Chat Lock allows users to protect specific chats from being visible to anyone using their mobile device, requiring authentication methods like passcodes, facial scans, or fingerprint recognition.
In addition to the added security, Chat Lock relocates locked conversations out of the general inbox to prevent accidental exposure. This prevents any potentially uncomfortable situations where private messages may appear while showing photos or other content to friends or family on your device.
How to Lock Chats on WhatsApp
So, how does it work? When you select Chat Lock for a particular chat, it will vanish from your regular inbox and instead be stored in a separate folder, accessible only by using your phone’s password or fingerprint. Any notifications related to the locked chat will also hide the sender and message content.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to lock a chat on WhatsApp:
- Open the WhatsApp app.
- Tap on the name of the person or group chat.
- Select “Lock.”
To access your locked chats on WhatsApp, follow these steps:
- Slowly pull down on your chats inbox.
- Enter your phone’s passcode or use your fingerprint.
- Your locked chats will then become visible.
- When you lock a chat on one device, it remains locked solely on that device. The chat will not be locked on other devices where you use WhatsApp, such as a PC.
- If you back up and restore your chats on a new device, the locked chats will remain protected, requiring authentication to access them.
To unlock and unhide a locked chat on WhatsApp, follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp and go to the “Locked Chat” section where the chat is located.
- Tap on the contact’s name at the top of the screen.
- Scroll down and find the “Chat Lock” option, then tap on it.
- On Android, disable the “Lock this chat with fingerprint” option. For iPhone users, turn off the Face ID switch.
How can I lock multiple chats on WhatsApp?
To lock multiple chats, simply follow the steps mentioned earlier for each chat you wish to secure. Repeat the process for each chat individually.
Will I still receive notifications for locked chats?
No, WhatsApp takes measures to ensure the confidentiality of your locked chats. The contents of locked chats are hidden in notifications, so you won’t see message previews or sender information.
Can I set a custom password for specific chats?
Currently, WhatsApp uses your device’s password or biometric authentication for Chat Lock. However, WhatsApp has plans to introduce the option of setting custom passwords for individual chats in future updates.
What if I forget my fingerprint or Face ID?
In case you forget your fingerprint or Face ID, you will need to reset it in your device settings. Once you reset and reconfigure your fingerprint or Face ID, you will regain access to your locked chats.
There you have it! By following these simple steps, you can ensure that your sensitive chats are safeguarded from unauthorized access. Take control of your privacy on WhatsApp today by utilizing the Chat Lock feature.
Note: Chat Lock is currently available and additional options may be introduced in future updates. Remember to regularly update your WhatsApp to benefit from the latest security features and enhancements.