All of us store our important data on our computers. This data is either stored in the hard disk drive (HDD) or in the solid-state drive (SSD). It can sometimes happen that we may lose our data.
The data loss can happen by mistake when we delete the data from our computer, and it gets erased from the recycle bin too, or the data can be lost if there are some issues in the computer.
People think that once the data is erased from the recycle bin, it cannot be recovered back. But, this is not true. You can effortlessly recover the lost data from your computer using the different hard drives and file data recovery software available on the internet.
RELATED: Top 7 Driver Updater Software for Windows
“Do-it-yourself” data recovery?
Many online videos explain how you can recover your lost data easily using the physical methods or say they guide you for “Do-it-yourself” data recovery.
Data recovery on your own using the physical methods is not as easy as it seems from online videos and articles. It requires a lot of patience and understanding of the physical components involved.
On the contrary, the data recovery using the data recovery software is effortless. You just need to start the process, and the software will do the rest. Still, there are some precautions that you should keep in mind while performing data recovery.
- Never Recover Data to the Same Hard Drive – This can lead to overwriting on the hard drive, which may eventually lead to a permanent loss of your data. So, try to store the recovered data in another hard drive or some external storage device such as a flash drive.
- Don’t Reinstall the Operating System (OS) – This leads to the overwriting of the files, and even the location of the files is lost. Hence, recovery becomes impossible.
- Read the Information About the Software Carefully – You must check the system requirements and the file formats which the software can recover and match them with your requirements.
Now you know about the data recovery software and the precautions to follow, let us see some of the best hard drive recovery tools available on the internet for your PC running on Windows 10 or Windows 11.
The top 7 hard drive recovery software
A number of data recovery software are available that can do various works along with hard drive recovery. Here’re our top 7 favorites:
- R-Studio for Windows
- EaseUS Data Recovery
- Stellar Windows Data Recovery
- D-Back Hard Drive Recovery
- 4DDiG Windows Data Recovery
- MiniTool Power Data Recovery
It provides an all-around solution for retrieving the lost data, managing the partitions and disks, and creating virtual RAIDs. It is one of the most comprehensive hard disk recovery solutions. You can use it to recover data from hard disks using the FAT (FAT12, FAT16, FAT32), NTFS, NTFS5 and exFAT file systems.
It comes with a lot of features such as network recovery, disk imaging, hex editor, in-depth file analysis, and many more. All these features make this recovery software unique in its functioning and utility and make its use case vast.
- It supports the recovery of a variety of file formats.
- It comes with a filter that can be used to recover the files with the same extension separately.
- The files can also be recovered over a network and saved on any disk accessible by the host computer.
- It has multi-language support.
- The user interface is very complex due to the support of a number of features.
- The software pricing is somewhat complicated, and the buying of paid plans can be confusing.
A free version of this software is available on the website. However, the paid plans are very confusing as there are a lot of plans for different use cases. The cheapest plan comes at $49.99 and can vary according to the plan type and the number of PC licenses.
It is an overall competitive file and data recovery tool presented out there. It helps to recover the files and data from HDD, SDD, SD cards, USB flash drives, and many other storage devices.
It also helps in format (accidental quick or full format) recovery, partition (damaged or corrupted hard drive, deleted partition on the hard drive, and many more) recoveries, and the recovery of data due to other cases such as windows updates system crash, and others.
Related: How to Partition a Hard Drive in Windows 11?
Many other features like filters, pausing and restarting of the recovery process, specifying file type for precision search, and many more are also available that make this software unique.
- A variety of data recovery options.
- Different file formats are supported.
- The recovery results are perfect and up to the mark.
- You can filter and sort the search results by file type, file name, and modification date.
- You can preview the files before starting the recovery process.
- The recovery scanning is slow.
- Sometimes the recovered files are not complete.
A free trial of the EaseUS Data Recovery is available, which only lasts up to 30 days. After that, you can upgrade to the paid version if you like the experience. The paid EaseUS versions come with various extra features than the trial version.
The description of the paid version is as follows:
- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional @ $69.95 per month with auto-renewal
- EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Technician @ $299 per year.
It is a solid option to recover your lost data on your computer or any hard drive, especially if you are not a person who is not into tech a lot, because of its user-friendly interface.
It recovers the deleted files of different file formats and helps in recovering emails, BitLocker data, and many other files. It can also help retrieve the data from different internal and external storage devices such as HDD, SSD, pen drives, and others.
- It recovers all types of files.
- It recovers deleted data from all types of storage devices.
- It allows the previewing of recoverable files.
- The deep scans are very slow.
- It can not make a complete recovery of data after a deep format.
The trial version allows you to recover the data only up to 1 GB. To recover data larger than 1GB, you will need a paid plan. The description of the paid plans is given below:
- Standard plan @ $49.99
- Professional plan @ $79.99
- Premium plan @ $99.99
This data recovery software claims to be the best in terms of the data recovery percentage. According to the developers, it can help you recover almost 95% of the data as before.
Besides, it also has many features such as wide language support, crashed computer rescue, advanced video recovery and repair, and many more. All these features make this data recovery software the best one.
- It recovers the data lost due to formatting, partition, deletion of files, and many other cases like computer viruses, system crashes, and others.
- It supports the recovery of the files and folders of over 1000 file formats.
- It can recover data from over 2000 different storage devices.
- The preview feature is very complex in usage.
- The free version does not allow the recovery of anything.
The free version of the software is available, but its usage is very limited. The paid version comes with a lot of special features, and the description of the paid plans is given below:
- ESSENTIAL – Unlimited file recovery @ $69.99 per year for 1 PC.
- STANDARD – Computer crash recovery @ $ 79.99 per year for 1 PC.
- PREMIUM – Files recovery and repair @ $89.99 per year for 2 PC.
The features provided by this data recovery software are the same as provided by all other software available. It recovers data from various storage devices like SD cards, HDD, SSD, and many others.
The data of more than 1000 file types, including images, videos, MP3, and others, can be recovered easily. The data lost due to system crashes, virus attacks, and many other reasons can also be recovered.
- It helps in erasing the private data from the computer without leaving any trace.
- The scanning speed is very fast.
- You can scan and preview the data before recovering it.
- The filter option does not work all the time properly.
A free trial version of the software is available, which has almost all the paid version features except the unlimited data recovery. The free version can only recover data up to 100 MB. The description of the paid version is given below:
- Monthly plan @ $59.95 for 2 PCs.
- Annual plan @ $79.95 for 2 PCs.
- Lifetime plan @ $99.95 for 3 PCs.
4DDiG works on all internal and external devices and recovers all your folders and drives on your PC. The tool can recover data from a hard disk drive even the drive got damaged and failure, the computer CPU and files system got crashed, the hard disk bad sector, and more.
There are other features such as filters, pausing and resuming of the recovery process, support for the recovery of various file formats, and many more.
- The pause-resume feature makes the software usage very comfortable.
- You can follow just three steps and recover the lost data.
- It supports more than ten languages.
- It also helps you to recover your unsaved files.
- You can not recover the files using the trial version.
A free trial version of the 4DDiG is available, but the features are limited, and you can not recover the files using this free version. The description of the paid plans is given below:
- $49.95 for one month’s license.
- $55.95 for one year license.
- $59.95 for a lifetime license.
This data recovery tool is not different from the other data recovery tools available on the internet. It also comes with the same features like data recovery from HDD/SDD, flash/pen drives, SD cards, and other storage devices.
Some of the unique features are that it has a preview feature that helps preview files before saving them to your PC, scans all the external and internal storage devices connected to the PC, and many more distinct features.
- You can recover 1GB of data for free.
- It creates a bootable media that can help you in running the recovery software even from a USB drive, and so you can retrieve files even from a malfunctioning hard drive.
- It also scans specific locations and helps you to retrieve deleted files from that location.
- The preview feature is very slow and buggy.
- The data in very limited file formats can be recovered.
A free trial version of the software is available but with limited features. The paid versions come in two categories – for personal use and for enterprise owners. The details of these paid versions are mentioned below:
For personal use:
- Monthly Subscription @ $69.
- Yearly Subscription @ $89.
- Lifetime Subscription @ $99.
For enterprise owners:
- Business Standard @ $119
- Business Deluxe @ $199
- Business Enterprise @ $399
- Business Technician @ $499
Data recovery for beginners: FAQs
What are hard drive recovery software?
Data recovery software tools are the type of software that helps in the easy recovery of the deleted, corrupted, or inaccessible data from the storage devices – hard drives or solid-state drives.
These software review, scan, identify, extract, and copy data from the storage device’s formatted, corrupted, and deleted sectors or in a user-defined location in the storage device.
These software have access to the core architecture of the hard disk, or we can say that they have access and control over the file systems and structure. This control and access help these software to un-format the system and retrieve the deleted data and the files.
Are hard drive recovery software safe to use?
The recovery software are user-friendly, safe to use, and do not harm your computer. But before using one, you must do proper research and find out if the software you are going to install and use for recovery has good user reviews.
Many recovery software available online may seem very appealing to you, but they may be affected by malware, which may violate your privacy. So, choosing the right recovery software is also important.
Is there a free hard drive recovery software?
Yes, there are a number of freely downloadable data recovery software available for Windows 10 or Windows 11 out there. Some of the best ones are mentioned below:
- Wise Data Recovery
- Undelete 360
Make sure to look at our take on the best free data recovery software for further information and a complete review of these tools.
How can data loss be avoided?
There are different causes of data loss, such as hard drive failure, system crashes, computer viruses and malware, laptop theft, and many others.
To avoid data loss, you must ensure that your PC is kept in a well-aerated place so that when the system gets heated up, it gets cooled down quickly, or else it can lead to a system crash or hard drive failure.
Another thing which you can do is keep your PC clean and not bring any liquid items near it. Any kind of mishappening can lead to the loss of data.
Keeping the data safe is very important, but if it gets lost due to some hardware or software issues, you still have a way to recover it. You can simply use the data recovery software on your system running on Windows 11 or 10 and get the data back.
The data recovery software programs mentioned above are unique in its own way and can help you recover the hard dirve data very easily. So, if you have lost your important data due to some issues, you can use the software or apps that are mentioned above and retrieve or recover the data easily.